Westland Votes

City of Westland Elections


Find answers to some of our most frequently asked questions below. If you still need help, you can reach us by email at clerk@cityofwestland.com or phone at (734)467-3187

Voting Procedures During COVID-19

What precautions will be taken at the polling place?

People in line will wait 6 feet apart, everyone is asked to wear masks and use sanitizer.

Will I need to wear a mask?  

 Voters are not required to wear a mask.

How can I avoid crowds?

You can avoid crowds by voting by mail, dropping off your ballot at a drop box, voting early – in person or voting early in the day on Election Day.

Voter Registration

Who is eligible to vote in Michigan?

In order to vote in Michigan, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You’re a U.S. citizen
  • A resident of Michigan and the city or township where you are applying to register to vote for at least 30 days before election day
  • At least 18 years of age (by election day)
  • Not serving a sentence in jail or prison

Do I need to re-register to vote?

Registration in Michigan is considered permanent, so you do not need to re-register for each election. You need to re-register anytime you move and change your address or when you change your name.

Does everyone have to register to be eligible to vote?

Registration is required under Michigan law to be eligible to vote.

I’m a first-time voter. Is there anything special I need to know?

Eligible citizens may become registered to vote in a variety of ways, at any time through Election Day.  Individuals who register to vote within the 14-day period immediately preceding an election must appear in person at their city or township clerk’s office and provide proof of residency. 

Individuals using any other method must register to vote at least 15 days before Election Day and are not required to provide proof of residency.  Other methods of registration include an application obtained at one of the following locations: 

  • Your local Secretary of State branch office 
  • Your local county, city, or township clerk’s office
  • Offices of several state agencies, like the Department of Health and Human Services, the Department of Community Health, and the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
  • Military recruitment centers
  • Voter registration drives
  • Online at http://www.Michigan.gov/sos

Michigan law states that the same address must be used for voter registration and driver’s license purposes. That means, if the residence address you provide on the application differs from the address shown on a driver’s license or personal identification card issued by the state of Michigan, the Secretary of State will automatically change your driver’s license or personal ID card address to match the residence address entered on this form. If a change is made, the Secretary of State will mail you an address update sticker for your driver’s license or personal ID card.

What if I am outside the U.S.?

If you are temporarily outside the US, you may use a Federal Postcard Application (FPCA) form to register. The FPCA forms are distributed through U.S. embassies and military bases, or you can go to www.fvap.gov/michigan to get more information and register online. 

A Michigan resident who moves and registers out of state may not re-register to vote in Michigan until he or she reestablishes residency here.

How do I know if I reside in the city of Westland?

You can call the Clerk’s Office at (734)467-3187 or check the Michigan Voter Information Center at michigan.gov/vote

How do I know if I am already registered to vote in Westland?

You can call the Clerk’s Office at (734)467-3187 or check the Michigan Voter Information Center at michigan.gov/vote

Do I need to re-register if I have moved away and moved back?

If you have moved to another community and registered to vote there, you will need to re-register to vote. If you moved and did not register to vote in that community, you can call the Clerk’s Office at (734)467-3187 or check your voter registration status by visiting the Michigan Voter Information Center at michigan.gov/vote.

I have moved within the city limits but I didn’t change my registration, can I still vote? If so, where do I vote?

You can still vote.  You can either vote at the precinct location for your registered address or come to the Clerk’s Office, located at 36300 Warren Rd., Westland, and register at your new address. 

What if I change my address?

If you move within the city of Westland, a change of address should be made with the Clerk’s Office, at a Secretary of State Branch Office, or by visiting ExpressSOS.com. If you have not completed a change of address prior to Election Day, you will not lose your right to vote. A voter registration form can be completed at the precinct to register at your new address for the next election.

If you move outside the city of Westland, a change of address should be made at your new Local Clerk’s Office, a Secretary of State Branch Office, or by visiting ExpressSOS.com

What if my name changes?

Any name change due to marriage or legal action may be reported to the Clerk’s Office or at the Secretary of State Branch Office. A person changing their name should re-register, but may vote under their former name.

How can I find more information on voting early in-person?

Yes. This PDF document has more Frequently Asked Question on early voting.

Election Day Voting

What are my rights as a voter?

  • If the polls close while you’re still in line, stay in line – you have the right to vote.
  • If you make a mistake on your ballot, ask for a new one.
  • If the machines are down at your polling place, ask for a paper ballot.
  • Voters are entitled to a provisional ballot, even if they aren’t in the poll book.
  • If you run into any problems or have questions on Election Day, call the Election Protection Hotline:
    • English: 1-866-OUR-VOTE / 1-866-687-8683
    • Spanish: 1-888-VE-Y-VOTA / 1-888-839-8682
    • Arabic: 1-844-YALLA-US / 1-844-925-5287
    • For Bengali, Cantonese, Hindi, Urdu, Korean, Mandarin, Tagalog, or Vietnamese: 1-888-274-8683

When are polls open on election day?

Polls open on election day at 7 a.m. and close at 8 p.m. You will be allowed to vote after 8 p.m. as long as you are in line by 8 p.m.

Is there assistance available at the precincts?

If you need help in voting you can request assistance from a poll worker.

Can someone else assist me in voting other than pollworkers?

You can have anyone assist you to vote except a representative of your union or your employer.

Are the voting precincts handicap accessible?

All precincts in the city of Westland are handicap accessible.

Will I need to bring any identification on election day?

Every voter will be asked for Photo Identification. If you do not have ID with you when you vote, you will be required to sign an affidavit of voter not in possession of ID. 

Can I register to vote on election day and then vote?

Yes, if you register to vote in person at your Township or City Clerk’s Office with proof of residency in that Township or City.

Voters who register to vote on election day have the option of voting an absentee ballot at the clerk’s office – or they can receive a receipt and vote at their precinct in person.

Absentee Ballots

I will be absent on election day. Can I still vote?

Yes, you can register to vote by absentee ballot by calling your local clerks office (734)467-3187 or come to the Clerk’s Office at 36300 Warren Rd., Westland to obtain an application form to receive an absentee ballot. 

What is an absentee ballot?

An absentee ballot is for people who are registered to vote but are unable to attend the polls on election day.

I registered to vote by mail. Can I vote absentee?

Anybody registered to vote is eligible to vote by absentee ballot. You can register and receive an absentee ballot in the mail, or pick up an absentee ballot at the clerk’s office, or vote in person at your polling place on Election Day.

Who is eligible to receive an absentee ballot?

Any registered voter is eligible to receive an absentee ballot.

How soon do I need to request an absentee ballot?

You can request an absentee ballot up to 75 days before the election. The latest we can mail your ballot will be the Friday before the election. As this date is close to the election, it may be best to come to our office to request and vote your absentee ballot.

I’m in the military or overseas. How can I vote?

You can contact your commanding officer and receive a Federal Post Card Registration and Absentee Ballot (FPCA). 

If you are a citizen overseas you can contact your Consulate Office. 

You can also go to www.fvap.gov/michigan to get more information on military and overseas voting, along with requesting your ballot.

Can an absentee ballot be sent to a Post Office Box?

Yes, we can mail your absentee ballot to your Post Office Box. 

How can I return my completed ballots?

 By Mail:  Absentee ballots can be mailed back to the Clerk’s Office via the US Postal Service. Adequate postage must be placed on the envelope. Please send absentee ballots as soon as possible to avoid mailing delays. Ballots must be received by Election Day in order to count.

By Drop-Off:  Absentee ballots can be returned any time of day or night by using the White – City of Westland Mail Box located on the East side of City Hall (near the regular US Postal Mailbox). NO postage is necessary when using the White –  City of Westland Mail Box. Ballots will be accepted until 8:00 p.m. on Election Day.

Can anyone drop off my absentee ballot?

No, only an immediate family member, a person residing in the same household, or an assistant of the clerk may deliver your absentee ballot to the clerk’s office or drop box.

I made a mistake on my ballot. Can I receive another absentee ballot?

If you spoil your ballot in any way, you can receive another absentee ballot by calling our office at (734)467-3187 or by coming in person. We will void your old absentee ballot, and then issue you a new one. If you submit your ballot before the election and before 4 PM Monday prior to the election. We will need a written request.